The Worcester Housing Authority owns and manages 3,000 apartments in 24 separate communities across the City. Each year we competitively bid and purchase thousands of items from the following categories:
- Maintenance materials
- Modernization and new construction materials
- Vehicles and equipment
- Professional services
- Contracting services
- Office supplies and equipment
The focus of our purchasing team is to ensure that supplies, equipment and services required to meet the WHA needs are procured at the best value pricing and in compliance with the applicable procurement laws. Here at the WHA, we encourage competitive bids and proposals and are constantly reviewing new products and services
Along with direct solicitations of vendors and professional service companies, the WHA seeks competitive bids by advertising in:
- Commonwealth of Mass Central Register
- Commonwealth of Mass Goods and Services Bulletin
- Commbuys - Operational Services Division
- Local newspapers (print and online)
To understand the purchasing function, it is vital that a number of key goals and objectives of the Purchasing Department be stated:
- To procure materials, supplies, equipment, and services at the lowest possible cost consistent with the quality necessary for the proper operation of the various departments, thereby attaining the maximum value for each public dollar spent.
- To provide for the fair and equitable treatment of all persons or firms involved in purchasing by the WHA and promote an open and fair competition to all potential members.
- To promote social and economic goals such as encouraging small, minority, and women-owned businesses to participate in bidding WHA purchases.
- To assure that WHA purchasing actions are in full compliance with all applicable federal standards, HUD regulations, and state and local laws.
If you have any questions, wish to speak with a member of our purchasing team, or are looking to be included in upcoming vendor solicitations for the Worcester Housing Authority, please contact us at:
Please note our hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, and we are located at 660 Lincoln Street, Worcester, MA.
Whistleblower Protection: The WHA will provide any employee, vendor or other person with the opportunity to report violations of the WHA's Procurement Policy, state or federal laws or regulations, whether intentional on unintentional, directly to the Executive Director or Director of Public Safety. All reports will be fully investigated and appropriate action taken where necessary. The WHA will protect anyone making such a report, or a report to state or federal officials, from unfair reprisals. Further, the WHA shall notify staff and vendors, from time to time, of this policy.